Sunday, July 17, 2011

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

I just finished reading the fourth installment of Harry Potter's battles with Voldemort and his adventures at Hogwarts aloud to my children.  We started this book in late October and finished 9 months later in June.  I have to say this is the longest book I have ever read aloud.

Out out all the Potter books, the Goblet of Fire is my favorite so far.  I was unable to figure out the plot as I had done in previous books and so this book was a welcome surprise. 

Reading aloud Potter books and other fun young adult novels to your kids is a great way to spend quality time together.  I give my characters different voices and my kids love it!!  I read Hagrid's character with a southern accent.  I don't have a English accent that is very good so I totally improvise and it is entertaining and my confidence as a reader has soared. 

Our family tradition is to read the book first and then see the movie.  My kids both have dyslexia and if I didn't read aloud some long books, like Harry Potter, they would never read them, ever!  So I read, they listen and we all watch the films as a family and have done so for the past four years.  I am so glad we are sharing this Harry Potter adventure together as they grow up and I hope they will remember it always.

Next up, Harry Potter #5.  We will start in October again and since it is one of longest books in the series we will probably finish in July. 

Until then, I will see you at Hogwarts by the whomping willow.  Don't forget your scarf and a warm glass of butterbeer.

No comments:

Post a Comment