Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ghellow Road by T.H. Waters Review and Contest

Ghellow Road.  A Literary Diary of a Young Girl's Journey by T.H. Waters

Mental illness affects everyone in comes in contact with.  Ghellow Road is a literary diary of a young girl affected by mental illness.  She grows up in a household with parents who are battling illnesses beyond their control.  Theresa and her brother wade through their childhood and cross their fingers that they will come through unscathed.

Theresa and her brother were loved.  Their father was an amazing man, a teacher who loved to share his knowledge with his kids.  Their mother was beautiful and vibrant.  Something changed and in the 1970's you didn't talk about it.  Invisible forces, unforeseen by the children take hold and slowly change their world into chaos.

Ghellow Road is a page turner.  I read it in two days and I couldn't wait to find out what happened.  I was silently weeping for this young girl.  I am sincerely hoping Waters, pens a second book to continue her amazing journey through the tangled web of life.  Ghellow Road reminded me of The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, only different and better. 

I really related to Theresa's story as my childhood wasn't ideal and normal either.  I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder as a result of my experiences.  I think many of us have gone through negative experiences that make us stronger and wiser and yet we don't talk about them.  Waters doesn't sugar coat her story about mental illness and how it almost destroyed her life.  I think it is time to talk and air our experiences good and bad.  They are who we are and we are great, unique, amazing individuals.  So shout it out loud and take a walk down Ghellow Road!

If you would like to win a copy of this book click the link here:  Ghellow Road Contest

No comments:

Post a Comment