Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Wind Warrior

The Wind Warrior by Cynthia Roberts

This a multi-faceted historical romance.  It begins in the NorthEast woods somewhere near upstate New York in the 1700's or 17th century( I'm guessing).  Leslie is a woman who has visions and she foresees a Indian man in her dreams.  After her father's murder and her escape from the village, Leslie is wounded and her reality entangles with the man from her dreams, Winnokin.  He is Seneca and his tribe is part of the Iroquois Confederacy (5 Indian Nations who formed a political and social system together).

The story is mainly about Leslie's and Winnokin's journey of melding their two distinct cultures together with some sex thrown in.  Leslie travels to Winnokin's tribe with many trials and pitfalls (kidnapper's included) along the way.  Mainly the novel is about acceptance.

I haven't read a true romance in a few years and I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly I devoured it.   I really enjoyed the historical part of the book and that it dealt with the culture of the Seneca Nation.  I wish the author would have been a bit more specific with actual historical events, dates and locations but my guess, if I remember correctly, is that historical romance is supposed to be more about the romance than the historical backdrop.  Unfortunately I not really into the romance of a novel anymore but more interested in the issues and history it presents.

Leslie is a strong main character, the book seems historically accurate and presents a strong sense of culture. It was a good read for me and strongly I believe the racism of the time will play out in later novels.  This is the first book in a series of three.

I received this book from Crazy Book Tours.