Thursday, September 16, 2010

Almost to Die For

Almost to Die For by Tate Hallaway

Ana Parker is turning sixteen and her world is about to be turned upside down when she meets her estranged father who informs her that she is a vampire princess and not a witch like her mother.   Ana is a really strong character although she doesn't think so.  She is bullied by the local jocks, can't perform magic and sits alone at lunch.  Her mother is a head case that Ana can't figure out, her parents hate each other and life is crazy.  Basically she suffers from low self-esteem but she is totally one kick ass chick!

This is a young adult novel that holds teen issues at the heart of it.  I could find a lot of teens sitting in my classes everyday who can relate to not fitting in or sitting alone in the lunch room.  Other important teen issues raised are divorce, bullying, sex, safety, gangs and low self-esteem.  I am sure there are more.  The author does an excellent job of showing the metamorphosis of Ana from weak, picked on girl to kick ass, vampire princess.  And while the average human doesn't make that drastic of a transformation, change does happen and can be profound.

This book was a lot of fun for me to read.  It takes place right in Saint Paul, which is where I live, and it is so fun to read a book that takes place in your hometown.  There is one scene in the book where there is a fight outside a bowling alley (Bryant Lake Bowl).  I am wondering if the author was there when I visited last because there was a fight that night too.  I was like, WEIRD?  Basically the vampires own St. Paul at night and that is why everything closes and everyone goes home so early.  Makes sense to me.

I am sure you know by now that I am not a vampire expert nor do I read a lot of vampire/witch type of books.  OK, honestly I have read two in my life, three if you count this book, and I have to say that this book was really entertaining for me.  I laughed out loud a few times, I had a few grossed out moments and I loved how the book ended and I can't wait for more. This is the first book in the Vampire Princess series.

If you liked my review and want to win personalized copy of the book from the author please click on the book in my side bar and enter by September 30th, 2010.  Still to come this month is an interview with Tate Hallaway.  If you have a question you want me to ask let me know in the comments and I will include it.