Friday, January 28, 2011

Colin Sokolowski Author Interview

Colin Sokolowski Author Interview
I would like to introduce you to Colin Sokolowski, Hometown Track Minnesota Author in the Spotlight.  The contest for Colin's book ends Monday, so please enter right away on the contest link located in the right side bar of Booksnob's blog.  It is open internationally for followers who like Colin's Facebook page.  Go to Colin's facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/accidentaladult

Hi Colin,
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself?

I’m the guy friends call to answer music trivia questions, not for help hanging Sheetrock.  I also can’t tell the difference between a Chianti or a Cabernet, and I don’t really care.  I live in suburban St. Paul with my tolerant wife and my three acutely verbal children.

2. What is the inspiration behind The Accidental Adult?

Technically I’m an adult, but I’ve always felt adults are those “other people” who tend
to know much more about things I don’t care about. Like credit scores, or their home’s
square footage. This conflict gave me plenty of material to write about.

3. Your book is titled The Accidental Adult, can you tell us what an Accidental Adult is and how you came up with the concept?

An accidental adult is one whose age indicates maturity but whose approach to life often
suggests otherwise. If you’re not one yourself, you’re probably either dating one or
married to one. When I started writing, I was creating a series of personal essays, and that
theme of RELUCTANT GROWNUP came screaming out. So I packaged all my essays
with that accidental adult undercurrent.

4. This is your first book, can you tell us why you decided to become a writer?

When I was in high school, a really cool English teacher gave me permission and support
to find my own true writing voice – even though it was stunted and smart-ass. Once I saw that it was OK to write the way I was thinking, I set a goal to write a book. Only decades
later . . .

5. What is your favorite chapter in your book and why?

Oh they’re all like my children, and I love them equally. Wait, that’s cliché and
pretentious and super untrue. I really like my final chapter “Nostalgia: Checking in with
your inner-child” because I get to make fun of my juvenilia writings from high school.

6. Your book is laugh out loud funny, does humor come naturally to you or do you
have to work on it?

My talent isn’t lighting up a cocktail party with standup material. I’m much more in my
element writing things I hope others find funny. I never set out to write a humor book,
but after a few essays I realized that humor was a huge part of my perspective on life as
an accidental adult.

7. After your book was published did anyone in your family or circle of friends get
mad for being "exposed" in your book. What about your wife? What are some of
the reactions you get?

My neighbors were worried I’d name names, and my college friends wished I had
devoted entire chapters to them. I’ve known my wife Kelly for 21 years, and after she
read the entire book she said, “Guys really think like that? You really think like that?”
She was my first editor, and hearing her laugh at my drafts was all the validation I
needed. Well, that and a publishing contract.

8. This book imparts many lessons. What are the main lessons you want Accidental and Intentional Adults to take from your book?

Lighten up! Acting your age doesn’t have to mean losing your cool.

9. Are you writing a second book? If so, can you give us a preview of what it is about?

No plans for second book right now, but I am working to partner with major media outlets as a regular contributor or humor columnist. The topic is the same – how to navigate life among the grownups.

10. Do you like to read? What are some of your favorite books or authors?

I mostly read nonfiction, and I loved Dan Zevin’s “The Day I Turned Uncool,” Rob Sheffield’s “Talking to Girls About Duran Duran” and The Phat Phree’s “Look at My Striped Shirt!” For fiction it’s Tom Perrotta all the way.

11. Is your book written mainly for men or will it appeal to women as well?

Funny thing – it definitely has a guy’s voice and is often directed at the male reader age
25 – 40. But as it turns out, I’m hearing from more women than men who are reading it
and resonating with it. They also tell me, “My husband doesn’t read much, but when he
does, this is exactly the kind of book he’d love.” I also think women enjoy getting inside
a guy’s brain to see why so many of us are like this.

12. Tell us in one sentence why we should read your book, The Accidental Adult?

In a world filled with super-serious adults, accidental adults like me need the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment