Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space

My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space.  The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Women by Lisa Scottoline

This is a collection of short essays from Lisa Scottoline and her daughter Francesca's weekly column called "Chick Wit".  It is published in The Philadelphia Inquirer and I secretly wished I lived there so I could read the column every week instead of waiting for the book to come out.  Hmmm, I might need to see if I can subscribe to the column online.

This is the first book I have read by Scottoline and even though she is an accomplished crime novelist I had never heard of her.  I was sent a copy to review and am so glad because I really enjoyed this funny, heart warming, crazy book of essays on Lisa's life. 

Lisa is a fifty something woman who has been divorced twice, has one lovely daughter named Francesca, a intriguing mother whom she nicknames Mother Mary and something like FIVE dogs.  Her life is busy and varied (heck she is a successful writer) and she really likes her hair professionally dried with a blow dryer.  Oh and she found her first gray hair on her CHIN!

I love her story of going to the opera by herself at the movie theater (I think I am going to try it as I hear Carmen is coming)   Her tail (I mean tale) of her loving dogs all sleeping on her bed and her perpetually messy house made me feel right at home.  Also enjoyable is the story of her monster 52 inch TV and how much she loves it.  I laughed out loud the day she lost her winter hat and retraced her steps to find it,only to realize that someone pulled over, picked it up and wore it home.  Her beloved 20 year old jester hat gone forever!

OK, I have just talked myself into getting her first set of essays, they have to be just as funny and heart warming as this one.

Grab a glass, fill it with wine or water as I offer up a toast to more closet space (who doesn't need that) some pretty new shoes and a good book.


No comments:

Post a Comment