Sunday, June 22, 2014

Book A Day Updates and Mini-Reviews

Book A Day Updates and Mini-Reviews

I've been trying to read a book a day this summer as part of the BookADay challenge.  So far, I feel like I am keeping up.  I just got back from a trip to Maryland/DC for National History Day where my student took FIRST place in the paper category.  It was awesome!  So now I'm home and my feet are up (to decrease the swelling in my two sprained ankles) and I'm ready to read and write.

I will post the some of the books I have read and a short mini-review.

Day 4, Book #4   Brooklyn, Burning by Steve Brezenoff

I loved this book!  It is a love story that transcends gender and stereotypes and it was sweet and beautiful and full of meaning.  Brezenoff's writing is poetic and original.  I like a writer that takes risks and gets creative.  The characters of Kid and Scout are endearing and you will fall in love with them as they throw off societal labels.

Day 5, Book #5   Sex Criminals Volume 1 by by Matt Fraction, Chip Zdarsky (Artist)

This graphic novel is for adults only.  It is about a couple of people who when they orgasm are able to stop time.  They decide to rob a bank while their in the orgasm zone.  It is a bit zany and totally interesting and unique.  Great storyline.  I am looking forward to the next volume.

Day 6, Book #6    Everybody Needs a Rock by Byrd Baylor

I love Byrd Baylor's children's books.  Everybody needs a rock to love and this is a little instruction book for finding a truly special rock to hold and love.  Frankly, I love rocks.  They speak to me and I have a whole bunch of rocks sitting on my dresser and around my house.  This book is perfect for kids from age 3 to 103.

Day 7, Book #7   Pieces of Georgia by Jen Bryant

I was drawn to this book because I named my daughter Georgia.  Pieces of Georgia is told in verse.  Georgia is 13 and living in trailer with her father on a
farm.  She has been labelled "at-risk" because her mother recently died and she is introverted.  Georgia is an artist and so was her mother.  I liked the focus on art and learning about the Wyeth family artists.

I love this idea of reading a book a day.  I wish I could do this all year!