Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Glass

Glass by Ellen Hopkins

GLASS is the second book in the Hopkins trilogy about Crystal Meth and its effect on unwed, teenager mother, Kristina Snow and her family.  GLASS is just as addicting to the reader as was the first book, CRANK.  FALLOUT, the third book, is eagerly anticipated by many of her readers and I plan to be first in line to pick it up.

Ellen Hopkin's books continually keep me riveted to the page.  Glass is no exception.  She understands teenage girls so well and the amazing amount of pain and tragedy that exists in some of their lives.  The character of Kristina Snow is modeled after her own daughter.  Glass goes by many nicknames and destroys many lives and its effects spiral across generations.

My sister flirted with the monster and became addicted.  The struggle for her was unbelievable and her children did not come out unscathed.  I am proud to say she is sober now for 5 years but the fear of addiction is still there.  When reading these books, I have a new appreciation and understanding for what people addicted to a drug go through mentally and how it physically takes a hold of them and doesn't let go for years.  I can't even begin to imagine the struggle. 

It is scary how a drug can take possession of your very soul, make you steal from those you love, abandon your relatives, lie, cheat, and do all manner of things you wouldn't do unless you happen to be under the influence.  I am also scared by the fact that people can be high, and be so convincingly normal, that one cannot even guess they are living a life beyond rational and addicted to GLASS.

This book is written entirely in verse and it is close to 700 pages, but don't let that scare you.  The drug itself is more scary than the book, and of course some of the men and strangers Kristina meets.
Hopkins is my new favorite author this year and I plan to read all of her books and loan them to my students, especially struggling readers.  Do yourself a favor and read Crank and Glass.  They will blow your mind.

FALLOUT is being released on September 14th, 2010 and I will see you at the bookstore.

Check out the author's website at www.ellenhopkins.com

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to read this. I read Crank a long while back and loved it. I guess I'll have to put it on my list of books to buy. On a side note, I've awarded you with the Versatile Blogger Award over at my blog. Keep it shiny sweetie!

    ReplyDelete