Thursday, June 3, 2021

Day 72 of The 100 Day Poetry Project

 Day 72 of The 100 Day Poetry Project


My grandparents grew up during the Great Depression and these are things both my grandmas did on a regular basis. It's so interesting to think that their habits were born from the decade they grew up in. My grandma Kozy saved soup labels for probably 40 years, she always fed the birds leftover food and cut coupons, and washed out plastic bags. My grandma Majorie canned vegetables and fruits. She ate every pea and made me sit at the table for hours until I finished mine too (I still hate peas to this very day!) She also washed out plastic bags and reused them and wrapping paper, ribbons, and tissue paper.
At least I liked Poor man's stew! They were both amazing conservationists and at the time I didn't appreciate these gifts they gave me and the world.

People in this world could stand to remember some of the lessons we learned from our grandparents.