Monday, February 17, 2014

Anna Quindlen visits the Twin Cities

Anna Quindlen visits the Twin Cities

I love Anna Quindlen's books and have read most of them.  When I saw she was coming to town, I knew I had to be in the audience.  I packed my bag full of the books I wanted her to sign and readied myself to meet one of my favorite authors.

Anna spoke to an auditorium full of readers who have been influenced by her long writing career.  She came out and talked about her life growing up and her children (two of whom, who are also writers) and she read a passage from her new book Still Life with Bread Crumbs.  She then answered questions from the audience.  One questions asked, Who her favorite author is?  She replied with Alice McDermott.
Her recent favorite book is Behind the Beautiful Forevers; Life, death, and hope in a Mumbai undercity by Katherine Boo.  (I have not read anything by McDermott or Boo)

 Anna Quindlen's non -fiction books are full of more than life changing advice and I have to say, I adore them.  Being Perfect was giving to me by a friend and absorbed quickly as my mantra.  How Reading Changed my Life had me creating my own booklists patterned after hers and had me highlighting the books I have read from her lists.  Here is one of her list titles:  "The 10 Books I Would Save in a Fire (If I Could Save Only 10).   I have to say that I have grown into womanhood in the last 20 years, while reading Anna Quindlen's books.  She is an author who has influenced my life and my thinking.

I bought Quindlen's latest books, Lot of Candles, Plenty of Cake and Still Life with Bread Crumbs and can't wait to spend a lazy day reading them.  I was so honored to meet Anna and as I gave her one of my blog calling cards, she said, "I have been on your website".  And I said, "I have reviewed your books."  How cool is that!

Who is your favorite author?