Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Hormone Diet by Natasha Turner, ND

The Hormone Diet by Natasha Turner, ND
A 3-Step Program to Help You Lose Weight, Gain Strength, and Live Younger Longer.

Earlier this year in January (2012) I suffered from incurable, painful headaches and no pill could cure them or make them feel better.  I had a horrible headache every single day in January.  I also began to have intense hot flashes and could not sleep at all.  I was physically exhausted and miserable because I was in so much pain.  I knew my problem was hormonal and so I did what every American does with a computer, I googled it.

What I found was the book The Hormone Diet by Natasha Turner.  The Hormone Diet book literally changed my life.  Using Turner's book and visiting my OB/Gyn and Neurologist, I learned a lot about what was happening to my body via my unbalanced hormones.  Menopause.  At age 44.

Turner is a naturopathic doctor and begins her book with a explaining all the hormones inside your body and what happens when they get out of whack.  Turner includes a hormone health profile test that looks at your symptoms and determines where your hormones may be unbalanced.  Turner then recommends a detox diet to rid your body of toxins and hormone disruptors.  The detox diet is recommended for two weeks and I felt so good on it I did it for a whole month.  It pretty much helped heal my headaches and I lost 10 pounds that I have been able to keep off the entire year.

The Hormone Diet is not a typical diet book, it is really a prescription for how to live a healthy life.  Turner includes recipes, exercise tips and so much more.  Since February I have been drinking a smoothie full of healthy fruits and vegetables for breakfast with a scoop of protein powder.  I have been ordering and taking the vitamins Turner recommends and have been pretty much stalking her webpage and her Facebook page ever since and I feel better.  I consult Turner's book and her recipes on a regular basis. I now wish I lived in Toronto so I could attend her boot camp and workshops and have her as my naturopathic doctor.  So since that will never happen, I do the next best thing, I read her books.

My favorite smoothie recipe:
1 cup blueberries
half a frozen banana
2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
1 cup of plain soy milk
1 scoop of protein powder.

Now, I add a cup of spinach to it as well.  I call it, salad in a cup and it's delicious.
Read The Hormone Diet if you want to get healthy and understand your body.