Friday, December 7, 2012

Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey

Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey

Wren loses her first love in a drunk driving accident, and is understandably distraught.  Because she has hidden powers her mother won't acknowledge and because she is steeped in grief Wren does the unthinkable, she brings her boyfriend Danny back from the grave.  Danny is hidden in her neighbor's garage and as Wren tries to protect her secret, she starts losing control of her life.

Danny begins to become more like a cold-sleepwalking zombie everyday and Wren is beginning to realize the depth of her mistake.  As Wren is able to understand and resolve her grief, a new boy enters the school and awakens in her a sense of hope.

Cold Kiss comes highly recommended by many book bloggers and deals with some tough issues like death, grief and drunk driving.  Yet the plot is slow moving, the characters were underdeveloped and full of stifling emotion and it took me months to finish this book when I thought it would be a quick read.  The cover is appealing, the premise interesting and yet it was just mediocre.  So frustrating.

Do you ever feel like there is something wrong with you because you didn't "love" a book that everyone else seems to adore?  Well, I stuck with Cold Kiss and gave it my best shot but in the end, as I turned the last page, I was thankful it was over.  Then I thought, why does everyone like this book so much?  I just don't get it.

Well, each reader is unique and brings to the reading experience their own emotions, experiences and perspectives.  Sometimes you find a book that appeals to your senses and you know as you turn the very last page that it was right for you.  Cold Kiss was not right for me.