Monday, December 31, 2012
Kerry Casey is December's Author in the Spotlight here on Booksnob. He has written two books, Fall to Grace and Singer and has self published his books under the logo Five Friends books. Read on to learn more about Kerry and his books.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself?
I grew up and live in St. Paul. Have traveled extensively as an advertising copywriter and creative director but have yet to find a better place to live. I’m married with two boys, ages 13 and 10.
2. What is the inspiration behind the story “Fall to Grace”.
Like most authors, I cannot place the sprite that whispered this story in my ear. For some unknown reason I wanted to tell a story of the intersection of the lives of two young boys from vastly different backgrounds who experienced the same formable tragedy in their lives.
3. Usually an author puts some of his own life experiences in the book. Did you do that? Do you have anything in common with your characters?
My characters are all shreds of my experiences, but none resemble my life too closely. That’s the beauty of fiction.
That in falling—in having certainties kicked out from beneath you—that you find grace and your greater you.
5. You have written a sequel to Fall to Grace called Singer. Can you tell us the inspiration behind it?
After about 500 pages, the first story had to end, but the story wasn’t over. I wanted to learn where the characters would go next. That’s what happens in Singer. I try not to over-direct their journeys. I once heard a writer say, “How do I know what will come next? I haven’t written it yet.” That resonated.
6. Are you working a third book? Can you tell us a little bit about it?
I am. Again, like the first book, the second book had to end. I needed to breath it in. Reset. But the story isn’t complete. And now the third in the series begins. It’s just getting its feet under it. Exciting stuff.
7. Why did you decide to become a writer?
It’s the perfect job for people who can’t tell a story extemporaneously.
8. Do you like to read? What books or authors influence you?
Steinbeck. NY Times.
9. Why did you start your own publishing company and name it Five Friends Books? What is the story behind it?
Every writer should ask, “What is my goal in writing this book? Do I want to become rich? Get the cover of the NY Times Book Review? What is my definition of success?” When I came to understand my definition of success it was this: I want my novel to inspire my friends, upon reading it, to recommend it to five of their friends. And so on. Over 12,000 of my books have found readership this way.
10. Do you have any advice to offer to people who want to self publish their book?
Have confidence. You can do it. But if you’re the least bit lazy, it’s not going to work.
11. Tell us in one sentence why we should read Fall to Grace?
The novel is a thoughtful page-turner.
Thanks Kerry!! If you would like to win a copy of Fall to Grace please click here: Fall to Grace Giveaway