Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Guest House: Poem in My Post

Poem in My Post.
The Guest House by Jelaluddin Rumi, translation by Coleman Barks.

I chose this week's poem because I saw an article on Buzzfeed called 36 Life Changing Poems
Everyone Should Read.  You need to go to the link and read some of the poems.  Many of which I hadn't read before.  Here is the link:  http://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyandoli/life-changing-poems-everyone-should-read

There are so many great poems out there and it sometimes hard to choose just one to share with you.  I chose this one because I love Rumi and also because today is Easter and with guests coming over and families getting together, I thought the poem was a good metaphor for living our lives and entertaining.



THE GUEST HOUSE

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

-- Jelaluddin Rumi,
    translation by Coleman Barks

Happy Easter!!