Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Compound by S. A. Bodeen

The Compound by S. A. Bodeen

The world suffers a nuclear attack and Eli and his family are rushed into The Compound late one night, leaving behind Eli's twin brother Eddy and his grandma.  Eli's father happens to be one of the richest men on earth and has created The Compound as a safe place for his family of 6 to live safely underground for 15 years.  He has thought of everything, an abundance of food, clothing supply through the years, all their favorite things in their own replica underground bedroom.

They have been living underground for six years and boredom, and despair are setting in.  Eli's father is acting strange, everyone wants out, their food supply is dwindling and their father has begun experimenting with a different food source known as the supplements.  Eli wonders if things are OK in the world now and if they could safely leave.  Except here is no internet, or phone and they are locked in by a special code.

Bodeen has written a thriller that slowly unfolds to reveal a shocking situation in The Compound.  The Compound is a compelling and intriguing page turner.  Once I started reading The Compound I couldn't stop and devoured it in just 2 days.  The Compound is a book that will make you fall in love with its characters and then slowly cause you to question their trustworthiness and question all you know.

The Compound is thought provoking.  It made me really think about what I would do in a nuclear situation. Obviously I don't have a underground compound but I also don't have a plan for a disaster of huge proportions like this.  This is probably because I'm not paranoid but I'm also skeptical that something like a nuclear attack would ever happen.  Maybe I'm just in denial.  This is scary to think about.  Do you have plans for a nuclear attack?

Bodeen does a great job of creating suspense.  I can't wait to read the sequel!  The Fallout, here I come.