Monday, January 7, 2013

Reading Challenges for 2013

Reading Challenges for 2013.

Challenge #1.  Finish the Series
I decided to add a new challenge to my reading life.  The Finish the Series Challenge is for those of us who read book one or two in a series and then never get around to finishing it.  So I decided that if I finish at least one of the series this year I would be overjoyed.

I can't tell you how many series I start and never finish.  Ugh, I am a classic offender.  The series I most want to finish this year is River of Time Series by Lisa T. Bergren.

I am going to continue with all the challenges I did last year.  I notice that when I do a challenge I tend to be more conscious of what I read and tend to continue to pick up that type of book more often.

Challenge #2:  Pulitzer Prize
I am going to continue to read Pulitzer Prize winning novels.  I read six last year and I hope to accomplish at least that many prize winners this year.  It is harder than you think to stick to a prescribed reading list.  I am not going to create a new button.
I primarily read off the fiction and novel list but am open to non-fiction as well.  I have read about 18 books out of 85 so far on the fiction and novel list.    Wish me luck

Challenge #3:  War through the Generations

This year War through the generations is challenging readers to read books about the American Revolution.  I joined this challenge at the "dip" level and pledged to read 1-3 books about the American Revolution.  This is one challenge I am kinda worried about.  I don't have a lot of books on my shelves that take place during the revolution.  So if you have any ideas or books you love from this time period, please let me know.  This is my 2nd year participating in this challenge.

Challenge #4:  What's in a Name Challenge 6
What's in a Name challenge is so creative and fun.  I love looking for books titles that fit the theme.  It is hard and challenging for sure and I love to see what everyone places in each category.  This year the categories are:
1.  A book with up or down (or equivalent) in the title: Deep down True, The Girl Below, The Diva Digs up the Dirt
2.  A book with something you'd find in your kitchen in the title: Loose Lips Sink Ships, The Knife of Never Letting Go, Breadcrumbs
3.  A book with a party or celebration in the title: A Feast for Crows, A Wedding in Haiti, Cocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness
4.  A book with fire (or equivalent) in the title: Burning for Revenge, Fireworks over Toccoa, Catching Fire
5.  A book with an emotion in the title: Baltimore Blues, Say You're Sorry, Dreams of Joy
6.  A book with lost or found (or equivalent) in the title: The Book of Lost Fragrances, The World We Found, A Discovery of Witches

Challenge #5:  Where are you Reading?

This is a fun challenge where you keep track of where your books take place on a google map.  The challenge is to read one book from all 50 states and other countries are worth extra points.  I had so much fun last year tracking where I was reading and all the places I traveled to in my mind. I read books that took place in 5 Continents, 19 countries and 28 states.  Most of the books I read took place in Minnesota, no surprise there.

I am going to try and read consciously and choose books purposefully.

Who am I kidding?  Books choose me and I am not in control of what I read!

GoodReads:  I challenged myself to read 83 books this year which is one book more than I read in 2012.

What are your reading challenges??

Here is to a great reading year.  Cheers!