Sunday, November 27, 2011

Books into Movies

On Thanksgiving I had about 30 people over for dinner.  The last person left about 8pm and you can imagine how tired I was.  So this weekend became a weekend where I watched movies and TV shows that were initially books.  My family enjoyed this and I think it will become a future tradition in my household.  I commonly read the book and then forget about the movie because I don't have time or the book is always better, in my opinion, so why go see it, right?

First we watched Howl's Moving Castle.  I have been wanting to see this for a long time as I loved the director's previous film Spirited Away.  Howl's Moving Castle was an entertaining film for the family as everyone enjoyed the entertaining tale and visuals were beautiful.  The film is based on the book, Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones.  I haven't read it yet but it looks really good.




The second movie we watched at the movie theater. We went to see Hugo Cabret since both my son, daughter and I have all read the book and were eagerly awaiting the film. I loved the film! We spent the extra money and saw it in 3D and I am glad we did. I laughed, I cried and I fell in love with film all over again. Take your family to see Hugo and don't forget to read the book, it is awesome.


Next we saw New Moon. I know I am behind on this and since I read the book I wasn't in a hurry to see the film but my 11 year old daughter has been begging me to see it for the last couple of weeks and so I caved in. The film was OK. The book is better of course but for pre-teen and teenage kids, they were totally into it and so I am glad we watched it together as a family. Now she is going to start begging me to see Eclipse.



After we put the kids to bed my husband and I started watching the AMC series The Walking Dead. It is based on a series of graphic novels by Robert Kirkman. I have not read his books but I am thinking of checking them out. There are about 15 volumes in the series so far, enough to keep fans reading for
a long time. OMG, this is a good TV series and the zombies are so gross and scary. It is TV 14 but I wouldn't let my kids watch it as they would definitely have bad dreams. SO good, you have to check it out.


So that is my movie weekend. What movies did you watch this weekend that started out as books?