Friday, October 14, 2011

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Before I go on a trip, I like to read a book or two that takes place in the area I am visiting.  It helps me get to know the city, country or place from a literate point of view.

The Lost Symbol takes place in Washington D.C. and I am fortunate to be visiting there soon.  The Lost Symbol is literally a tour of the D.C. area and it includes the symbolic history of the monuments complete with connections to the ancient world.  This book has introduced me to places I now want to visit and awakened my excitement for traveling.  Places like The Library of Congress, The National Cathedral (Darth Vader gargoyle), National Archives, Alexandria, Virginia and so much more.

The Lost Symbol is the 3rd book in the Robert Langdon series.  The first two are Angels and Demons, and The Da Vinci Code.  This book continues the saga of Langdon, with murder, mystery, misconceptions, and the race to save the world from an unknown fate.  It includes ancient languages, history, religion with particular focus on the founding fathers and Masonry.  Brown never fails to surprise me with his plot twists and turns.  Just when I think I figure the mystery out, something unexpected happens.  Love him or hate him, a book by Dan Brown is an entertaining read especially if Robert Langdon is the main character.

I read the special illustrated edition of The Lost Symbol and it is beautifully done with real photos that enhance the learning and understanding of the reader.  I wish more books were illustrated, so readers could see the connection to the real world the novel contains.  Brown is an excellent teacher of  hidden history and this book is a gem waiting to be discovered by those who love adventures in reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment