Sunday, October 9, 2011

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire caught me by surprise several times with the many twists and unexpected turns it takes, leading the reader on a continuous adventure.  The second book in The Hunger Games series starts out at a mild pace but quickly gains speed as Katniss and Peeta head out on their victory tour.  President Snow has told Katniss to calm the people in the districts but they see Katniss as an inspiration and the mockingjay has become their symbol of rebellion.  Katniss just wants to protect her family and do as she is told but things quickly spiral out of control and Katniss finds herself back in competition fighting for her life. 

My son and I read this book in tandem, each with our own copy, talking about it everyday.  My favorite memory reading Catching Fire is sitting on the patio swing with my son on a Sunday afternoon reading it quietly together.  Another fun memory is when he was reading it in the car and at a stoplight I was reading over his shoulder, when the book revealed a secret I hadn't yet read.  I love that this series by Collins reaches across generations and I can't wait to read the third book, Mockingjay, with my son. This book is not just for teenagers!

Katniss is one powerful young woman, capable of more than she gives herself credit for.  Peeta is a inspiring, selfless young man who is smart on his feet.  Suzanne Collins has created a unique cast of characters who instantly challenge you to search for their particular attributes and not judge them by their appearance.  Catching Fire has a lot to offer to its readers as it is packed full of adventure, suspense, tainted love, confusion, violence and survival.  It is Survivor reality show meets Ancient Roman Gladiators wrapped up in a novel that is sure to keep you reading late into the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment