Wednesday, May 26, 2010

gods in Alabama



gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson

THERE ARE GODS in Alabama: Jack Daniel's, high school quarterbacks, trucks, big tits and also Jesus. This is the first sentence in Joshilyn Jackson's first novel, gods in Alabama. The first sentence in a novel is as important as your first kiss, it should be memorable and impress upon you the need to want more. More good writing that is! OK and Kisses too. This book contains good southern writing and humor, lots of kisses, a murder and plenty of Jack Daniels thrown in.

It took me a bit to get into the story because the story starts with a murder and no motive. About halfway through the book I started to figure out that this author is a genius and that is when I really couldn't put the book down. The author is playing a game with the reader like the main character is playing a game with her fiance.

This book reminds me of the lyrics in a country song. I will make one up. You add the southern twang.

I made a bargain with god and kept it for 10 years,
then Rose pop shows up and messes with my head.
Jim Beverly does nothing but stare and leer
and Burr tries and tries to get me in bed.

Chorus: Arlene, Arlene, what are you doing to me?
The deal is done and its time to go home.
Arlene, Arlene, what are you doing to me?

My dad died and my mom's turned crazy.
I promised to stop lying and fornicating,
why are all these memories threatening my sanity.

Back to chorus:

Well I hope you get the idea. This is one complex and complicated mystery that is fun and entertaining to read. This book kinda hits you over the head with a bottle of Tequila and then you wake up wondering what the heck just happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment