Wednesday, July 29, 2015

BluefIsh by Pat Schmatz

Bluefish by Pat Schmatz

Bluefish is a rare story that comes into your life just when you need it.  Travis and Velveeta are two lonely souls who gravitate towards one another on the first day of school.  They are in several classes together including their 7th/8th grade reading class.  Travis is the strong silent type and Velveeta can't stop talking.  She wears the most beautiful scarves that catch Travis's eye.  The pair form a strong healing friendship and their stories are told in alternating chapters.

Mr. McQueen is their Reading teacher and he is able to teach Travis and Velveeta the value of books, reading and the true meaning of friendship.

I laughed and I cried and I cheered for these kids to find their way in a world not made for misfits. These characters are so believable and well written that I wanted them to be friends with my own kids.

Bluefish really touched my heart and made me happy to be a teacher and a reader and proud to share my love of both with others.  The best books always teach you about yourself and have a way of breaking open your protective barriers.  Bluefish did that for me.

Bluefish is a poignant book that will move your spirit and give you hope.

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Bluefish!
Whose a Bluefish?