Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Waterfall Wednesdays Read-Along

Waterfall Wednesdays Read-Along Week #4
Pages read:  274-
Chapters read:  18-23

Here are the discussion questions and my answers for the read-along.  This week's questions are provided by:
Jenny at Supernatural Snark!


1. Gabi and Lia both face several life and death situations in these chapters, having to pick up weapons in defense of those they love and experiencing first hand the brutality of close combat. If you had the choice between picking up a weapon and standing on the front lines or staying behind to tend to the wounded as necessary, which would you choose?





I would definitely tend to the wounded.  I am not aggressive and could not shoot anyone with an arrow or a gun unless my life depended on it.  I prefer to stay behind the scenes and help pick up the pieces.  However, I could see myself as someone in charge of battle operations who would oversee the soldiers and relay battle strategy.  Then I am not in the heat of battle nor am I cutting off people's arms or stitching them back together.  Yep, just call me General! 

2. Both girls get to wear extraordinary gowns to their victory celebration; what would your dream medieval gown look like?  

 Hmmm, I have never thought of a dream gown before.  Off the shoulders, beaded bodice, Heart shaped neckline, full skirt with beads or pearls on the bottom.  Silk.  No Lace!  Probably a lovely lavender or periwinkle color.  Maybe a deep purple.  Zipper.  Did they have zippers?  Probably not, so buttons but not too many.

3. Gabi has crude stitches put in and must endure both their removal as well as the cauterization of the wound. How is your threshold for pain? Do you think you would have simply gritted your teeth as Gabi does?




I think I could handle pain without drugs as long as I knew it would be over quickly and as long as I knew they weren't cutting off an arm or anything. I gave birth to a 10 pound baby without any drugs so if I can do that, I could definitely do what Gabi did, although I would totally take a couple of shots of alcohol.  Don't get me wrong, I love modern medicine and in no way would ever give it up.

4. Marcello wants to properly court Gabi after they express mutual feelings of affection, wanting to speak with her mother about his intentions. What do you think is the most romantic aspect of medieval courtship?


Good question!  You are really making me think.  
The most romantic part for me would be the flirting and sexual tension of waiting to be together and not being allowed to be alone until their married.  I also think SOME chivalrous behavior is romantic.  I thought when Marcello picked out and bought Gabi her dresses and underclothes was very romantic.  Frankly, I love it when my husband buys clothes for me.

5. Gabi and Lia find themselves with conflicting desires toward the end with Lia wanting to return home and Gabi hoping to stay. Do you think that Gabi is being unfair to Lia for wanting to stay, or is Lia being unfair to Gabi for demanding they go? A little of both?


Gabi is naturally conflicted about the choice to return or to stay, who wouldn't be?  Lia is trying to appeal to her conscious mind and bring her back to reality, literally.  Neither is being unfair to the other, they each have their own ideas, plans, hopes and fears and they just happen to be in two different time periods.

Next week we are reading:
Chapters 24-28 and Wrap Up Hosted by Nic at Irresistible Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment