Monday, September 12, 2011

Food Rules. An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan

Food Rules.  An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan

This simple little instruction book contains 64 rules to a new and healthy you.  This little book could change your life and is a great addition to the kitchen of anyone who wants to eat and be healthy.

So much of our modern food is fake food, food created by science.  One of my favorite rules is not to eat food that your grandma or great-grandmother would not recognize.  So basically if it genetically engineered or modified and comes in a package it's probably not a real food.   Doritos, Twinkies, cereal, granola bars all qualify as science food not real food.  McDonalds and gas station food equals science food and means you are eating meals consisting of corn and soy and devoid of your body's necessary nutrients.

The three rules that Pollan focuses Food Rules on is Eat Food, Mostly Plants, Not too Much.  Seems simple but for most Americans this is very hard to do.  Pollan recognizes the challenges Americans face in our fast moving society but he also states the facts that Americans are living shorter lives because we are not eating real food, we are eating way too much food and not enough plants.  We need to simplify our decisions about food and shop on the outskirts of the grocery store and frequent local farmer's markets. 

Since I have read this book, I have already gifted a copy to someone and plan to immediately begin re-reading Food Rules. I want to keep the information in the book continually in my conscious mind so that I can make better choices for myself and my family.  I am eating better, shopping wisely and am happier.  Thanks Mr. Pollan.