Sunday, January 1, 2017

My First Book of the Year 2017

My First Book of the Year 2017

Happy New Year Everyone!!

My first book of the year 2017 is The Queen of the Night by Alexander Chee.  I am so excited to read this.

I'm actually a huge fan of opera and the hype from this book has pushed me over the edge and I can't wait to jump in a hot bath tonight and read, read, read this book!

The first thing I did today when I woke up was to enter a poetry contest.  I got one poem published last year and am hoping to at least double that this year.  The second thing I did was choose my first book of the year.  Then I went out to lunch with 4 littens/people I met through the Litsy app and it was so cool to meet them. Then I went to Magers and Quinn bookstore and bought a Marge Percy book of poetry and Euphoria by Lily King and a couple of books for my #cupidgoespostal book exchange through the @Litsy app.  If your not on Litsy yet, you need to be. You can find me as @booksnob

Here is the synopsis from Goodreads:

Lilliet Berne is a sensation of the Paris Opera, a legendary soprano with every accolade except an original role, every singer’s chance at immortality. When one is finally offered to her, she realizes with alarm that the libretto is based on a hidden piece of her past. Only four could have betrayed her: one is dead, one loves her, one wants to own her. And one, she hopes, never thinks of her at all.  As she mines her memories for clues, she recalls her life as an orphan who left the American frontier for Europe and was swept up into the glitzy, gritty world of Second Empire Paris. In order to survive, she transformed herself from hippodrome rider to courtesan, from empress’s maid to debut singer, all the
while weaving a complicated web of romance, obligation, and political intrigue.  

Featuring a cast of characters drawn from history, The Queen of the Night follows Lilliet as she moves ever closer to the truth behind the mysterious opera and the role that could secure her reputation -- or destroy her with the secrets it reveals.


Sheila over at BookJouney is holding an event regarding the first book of the year.  She has created a book collage and a linky for everyone to hop around and see who is reading what. Visit her at www.bookjourney.net 

What is the first book you are reading this year?