Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Book Gifts

Book Gifts.

Last year, I received 6 books for book gifts and I made a goal for myself to read all them by the end of 2014.  I read 4 of them and plan to read the 5th next week.

So often I receive a book and then I add it to my shelf full of books to read and then it lingers there on the shelf for way too long.  So I am determined to read these books this year and I thought I would do a post on it to hold myself accountable.

Here I the books I received for the Holidays and plan to finish reading in 2015.

1.  Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward.  I loved Jesmyn Ward's Salvage the Dogs.  It is one of the best books I have ever read and I can't wait to read this memoir.  I received this book from my Secret Santa Carol from the blog http://carolsnotebook.com/

2.  The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.  My Secret Santa, Carol also bought this for me.  This
book looks like an adventure and I can't wait to dive in.  Reading is so much fun!
Thank You Carol.  I love my new books and can't wait to read them.

The next three books, I received from my 2 teenage children and my husband. I'm super pumped about reading these books this year.

3.  All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.  This book is topping all the best of 2014 lists.  It is a WWII novel set in Paris.  Historical fiction is my absolute favorite.

4.  The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin.  Another book
topping all the best of 2014 lists.  I love books about books and I can't
wait to read this.  I'm seriously jumping up and down.  Reading makes me so happy.

5.  Neverhome by Laird Hunt.  I met Laird Hunt in October at the Twin Cities Book Festival and heard him speak.  Neverhome is about a female soldier during the Civil War who disguises herself as a man.  I am choosing to read this as my first book of 2015!  Happy Dance!

My Mom and Step-dad got me three different types of cookbooks.  I won't necessarily read them in the same way I would a novel but I pledge to cook out of them for a year, at least one recipe a month.

Here are my three new foodie books.

1.  Water Infusions.  Refreshing, Detoxifying and Heathy Recipes for your Home Infuser by Dr. Mariza Snyder & Dr. Lauren Clum.  Yep I got a water infuser and I am loving it.  I made Pear and Cinnamon water last night and it is delicious.  Tomorrow, I am making something with Mint.

2.  The Green Smoothie Bible.  Super-Nutritious Drinks to Lose Weight, Boost Energy and Feel Great by Kristine Miles.  I love smoothies and make them almost every day of the week for breakfast.  I am looking forward to trying some new varieties and getting more green in my shake.  Yum.

3.  My Prairie Cookbook.  Memories and Frontier Food from My Little House to Yours by Melissa
Gilbert.  I LOVE Little House on the Prairie books and the TV show and I'm excited to read and cook out of this book.  There are lots of pictures and memorabilia included in the book too.  Double Yummy.

I love all my new book gifts.

What books did you receive as gifts??