Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

The Magician's Nephew.  The Chronicles of Narnia.  Book #1 by C.S. Lewis

Digory and Polly are neighbors and live side by side in a row house. They met when Digory and his mother moved in with his aunt and uncle.  Digory's mother is very ill and needs to be cared for.  Polly and Digory become fast friends.  One day, they decided to have an adventure when they climbed into the attic and followed the rafters to the next row house.  What they found surprised them as they opened the door into the forbidden study of Uncle Andrew, the magician.

Uncle Andrew is devious and gives Polly a ring. When she puts it on her finger she disappears before their eyes.  Digory is appalled and must save her so he puts on a ring and follows her to another world to try and bring her back.

This is the first book I have read in the Chronicles of Narnia series.  I wish I would have read it as a child but I was never introduced to it.  I have seen the three movies on the series and loved them and have always wanted to give this series a try and I am so glad I did.  The Magician's Nephew explains the creation of Narnia and it is comparable to the Christian creation story.  It is a quick read and one I am glad I undertook.

The Magician's Nephew is adventure filled and is even at times comical.  It explained so much about the world of Narnia that I knew so little about.  The biggest thing the reader learns is how the witch gets into Narnia as well as the lamp post.  Narnia is a magical place.

The Magician's Nephew was the sixth book published in the Chronicles of Narnia series but it is currently labeled as the first book in the series.  I wonder why the publisher want readers to read them in this way.  Maybe I should have started with a different book?  What book did you read first?

The next movie in the Chronicle of Narnia series will be The Magician's Nephew.  I can't wait!