Friday, March 1, 2013

March Author in the Spotlight

March Author in the Spotlight


Announcing:  March Hometown Track Minnesota Author in the Spotlight.

It is the first day of March and I am busy grading papers and meeting with parents at parent-teacher conferences today.  I also have big plans to get my haircut and dyed today and just plain relax and read.  I just received my copy of March's Minnesota Author in the Spotlight, Kirstin Cronn-Mills book in the mail and I am anxious to read it.  

Kirstin Cronn-Mills teaches at Mankato state college and her book Beautiful Music for Ugly Children was added to ALA's 2013 Rainbow list this year. Way to go Kirstin.  I met Kirstin at the Twin Cities book festival in October.  I was drawn to her book by the title and cover page.

Here is a synopsis of Beautiful Music for Ugly Children from Goodreads:

"This is Beautiful Music for Ugly Children, on community radio 90.3, KZUK. I'm Gabe. Welcome to my show."

My birth name is Elizabeth, but I'm a guy. Gabe. My parents think I've gone crazy and the rest of the world is happy to agree with them, but I know I'm right. I've been a boy my whole life.

When you think about it, I'm like a record. Elizabeth is my A side, the song everybody knows, and Gabe is my B side--not heard as often, but just as good.

It's time to let my B side play.

Praise: "Every so often a book comes along that is so sharp, so moving, so real, and so good, you want to press it into everyone's hands and say, Read this! READ THIS!"--Courtney Summers, author of Cracked Up to Be and This is Not a Test.

This month you can expect a book review, a contest, an author interview and a Guest post from Kirstin.  You can find Kirstin at her website: http://kirstincronn-mills.com/

Have a great month, stop by often and take the time to read.