Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2012 Reading Challenges

2012 Reading Challenges

This year I took on four reading challenges.   I was able to complete two of the challenges.  Completed challenges up first.

World War 1 Challenge completed-  I read 3 books that took place during World War 1.  

1.  Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool
2.  A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
3.  The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian

What's in a Name 5 Challenge completed
I have read 6 books out of the 6 required.  Each book must have something in the title which corresponds to the category.   

1.  Something you'd carry in your pocket, purse, or backpack-  Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay 

2.  Something you'd see in the sky- Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool.   

3.  A book with a topographical feature (land formation)- The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

4.  A book with a creepy crawly in the title- Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol 

5.  A book with a type of house in the title - The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield

6.  A book with a something you'd find on a calendar - March by Geraldine Brooks

*These are the two challenges I didn't successfully complete but had a lot of fun trying.




The Pulitzer Prize Challenge.  
I read a total of 6 books for this challenge and my goal was to read 12.  It is hard to commit to reading a book a month especially when there are so many great books to read.  I am happy with my progress in this challenge.

1.  Tinkers by Paul Harding
2.   March by Geraldine Brooks
3.   A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
4.  To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee 
5.  Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
6.  The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields

Where are you reading Challenge was really fun.  The Goal is to read a book that takes place in each of the 50 different states.

I read books that took place in 5 Continents, 19 countries and 28 states.

Check out my map on Google Maps.

https://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?