Friday, August 10, 2012

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
Format:  Audio Book
Note:  This is the first audio book review I ever have written.

Going on a road trip and plan to drive over 2000 miles in 10 days with my kids so I decided to get a few audio books on CD for the trip.  Except that all the titles I wanted from the library were unfortunately already checked out and so I joined www.audible.com Being new to the audio book world I didn't know what to expect.  We chose Battle of the Labyrinth because the kids and I have read aloud together the first three books in The Lightning Thief series and I knew this would be a good fit for our family.

Listening started off well as we drove west toward South Dakota.  Jesse Bernstein narrates The Battle of the Labyrinth with a myriad of unique voices that match the characters personalities.   Percy Jackson captured both my kid's hearts long ago and he is the same adventurous teen with ADHD and Dyslexia who manages to get in trouble the first day he enters high school to register for 9th grade.  Two suspiciously beautiful cheerleaders (demons in disguise) try to kill him in the auditorium.  So begins the summer at Camp Half Blood when Annaliese, Tyson and Grover join Percy on a quest into the Labyrinth to find Pan and stop Luke and Kronos's army from invading.

My kids loved the entire audio book and kept asking to listen throughout the trip.  My mind kept wandering and so I missed huge sections of the story and then I would tell myself that I would read the chapter in our print copy but I never did.  I felt lost at times.  Not sure why I couldn't focus on the story.  Maybe it was because it was the first time listening to an audio book in a long time and my brain wasn't quite trained for the experience.  There was definitely an abundance of interesting characters and lots of crazy and hilarious action.  Maybe there were too many characters to focus on while making a long drive.  Who knows?  When the audio book ended, my kids immediately wanted to start the next book but I didn't.

Have you listened to any good audio books lately?