Friday, September 2, 2011

Waterfall Wednesdays Read-Along

Waterfall Wednesdays Read-Along Week #1

Chapters read: 1-6
Pages read: 1-99

Here are the discussion questions and my answers for the read-along.  This week's questions are provided by TinasbookReviews

1. Waterfall opens with the introduction of Gabi, shes depressed, a little angry and is dealing with feelings of loneliness. Are you connecting with her this soon in the novel? Do you see things you like or dislike?


I am a history teacher and loved the description of the Etruscan tombs and their search for it.  I can totally see how a teenager would be bored by it when she has been to Italy multiple times and participated in other digs with her mother.  However if it was me, I would have been ecstatic to be there. 

2. Gabi gets to time travel back to 14th Century Italy- The Dark Ages in its prime. Is there anytime in history that fascinates you and would you travel back if you could?

I was kinda hoping Gabi would end up in the time of the Etruscan people but the Middle Ages is an interesting time frame to write and read about.  I would never want to live in the Dark Ages, especially if I happened to be a female.  There is a reason why they are called Dark Ages.  All of history fascinates me which is why I became a history teacher but I would not chose to go back and I really enjoy the freedoms of being a woman in today's society, like voting, working, and being able to get an education and the freedom to make my own choices.  I would definitely not go back in time!

3. Most of the men, including Marcello have a very set opinion about a woman's place. Gabi gets manhandled a bit in these first few chapters, and even gets asked if shes a witch. The men are shocked when Gabi rides a horse like a man and shimmies down the castle walls. What do you think of mens mentality back then? Gentlemanly, chauvinistic, simple-minded?

Well, men were definitely gentleman back then but they were also rogues.  They expected women to act and dress a certain way and meant to keep them under their control and protection.  A strong, educated woman would have scared the heck out of most men and they would seek to control her which is why many women were beaten by their husbands and burned as witches.  I do miss chivalry and wish it was part of modern day society.  I also wish we could erase the double standard of today and help many of the women around the world who are forced into marriages and sold by their parents to ease their debt.  It some place it still is the Dark Ages!!

4. When Gabi becomes a part of this era, the people are immediately intrigued but suspicious of her. Many judge her by her difference. Do you think this is fair? Have you ever been in a situation where you felt like an outsider or that others were misjudging you?
Judging Gaby for being different is probably a natural human behavior.  Unfortunately it has probably happened to all of us and it is definitely not fair.  Usually the impression is completely inaccurate and can lead to some serious issues.  Right now I can't recall an exact situation but as a teacher I am being judged from everything to the clothes I wear, to my voice and my hair style that day.  It is amazing to me how teenagers think it is appropriate to voice their opinions about everything.  Sometimes my feelings do get hurt. 

5. What do think the coolest thing would be about living in the Dark Ages? What would be the worst?
Oh, boy this is a tough question.  I personally would skip over the Dark Ages if I could and go to the Renaissance.  But since I can't do that, I would say the coolest thing might be wearing the pretty dresses and learning to dance in court.  Of course I would probably be a peasant and so that would never happen.   The worst part of the Dark Ages would be the smell.  Most people didn't bath often and they would throw their excrement and trash into the street and it would stink for miles.  YUCK!  I love modern sanitation, flush toilets and showers.



Next week we are reading chapters 7-11

Chapters 7-11 is Hosted by Missie at The Unread Reader 

Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment