Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Birthday Book

Today is my son's 12th birthday and in honor of his birthday we donated two birthday books to his school. My son and I began this tradition when he was in preschool and it will hopefully continue until he graduates from high school.

Here is how it works. My son chooses his favorite book and I buy two copies. One copy is for his classroom teacher and another copy is for the school library. Then I attach a book plate to each book stating that it was donated in honor of my son's birthday. He delivers each book with a smile.

This year the chosen book was ZEUS, KING OF THE GODS by George O'Connor. We try to donate current titles because the schools are less likely to have the books. Most teachers rely on donations nowadays as does the school library. So it makes my son and I very happy to contribute. My daughter takes part in this tradition as well.

One of very cool thing about this is that my kid's classmates will tell them when they have checked out a book they have donated. My kids love to check them out as well just to show me that it is in the library and their name is in the book.

The gift of these books has left a legacy for future students. It is such a great tradition. I hope you will borrow it and make it your own.

1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing idea! Good job, I really like that.

    ReplyDelete